[Athleticfacilitymembers-list] Recreation News October 5th, 2011
hemtrain at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 5 11:43:25 EDT 2011
Here is what's new in the Harvard Recreation Department. Thank you for your continued support!
* Facility hours for September & October are available on our website: http://recreation.gocrimson.com/recreation/hours
* Please check the website for the most up to date hours for each specific facility this upcoming Columbus Day holiday.
* The MAC pool will be open Saturday October 8th from 3:30-4:45pm. Please contact Justin Wright justinwright at fas.harvard.edu<mailto:justinwright at fas.harvard.edu> for additional information.
* Memberships for the academic year and fall semester are now on sale online and in person. For additional information please contact Kristin LeBel amembers at fas.harvard.edu<mailto:amembers at fas.harvard.edu>.
* Members, if you have not renewed your locker at the Blodgett Pool for this academic year, please do so by September 19. On September 19, all lockers that have not been paid for will have their locks cut off, and contents placed in the lost and found. To renew your locker, please visit the Murr Center Conditioning Room front desk between 9am - 5pm, Monday through Friday, or contact Casey Blodget at caseyblodget at fas.harvard.edu<mailto:caseyblodget at fas.harvard.edu>.
GROUP EXERCISE CLASSES
* The Fall 2011 Group Exercise Schedules will run from August 29th-December 4th. The schedules can be viewed on our website: http://recreation.gocrimson.com/fitness/schedules
ITS NOT TOO LATE TO SIGN UP!!!!
FALL 2011 SPECIALTY CLASSES
* Fall classes will run at the Malkin Athletic Center and Hemenway Gymnasium between Sunday, October 2nd-December 4th.
* Class offerings include: Outdoor Bootcamp, Operation Strappy Dress, Ice Skating, Bollywood Dance, Belly Dance, Hip Hop, Ballroom, Pilates, Nia, Meditation, Latin Dance & more! Course meeting times & descriptions are online: http://recreation.gocrimson.com/fitness/specialty_classes
NEW SWIMMING PROGRAMS!
* A wide variety of brand new group swim programs are coming to the MAC & Blodgett Pool this October!
* Courses include Aqua Ballet, Swim for Fitness, Safety Strokes, Treading in Deep Water, Deep DISCOvery & MORE! Registration will be available online between September 12th-28th.
* Courses run for 8 weeks between October 1st and December 3rd.
* Please contact Dawn at macfit at fas.harvard.edu<mailto:macfit at fas.harvard.edu> for additional information.
* For a course details & additional information please see our website: http://recreation.gocrimson.com/recreation/activities/swimprograms
SCUBA DIVING COURSE
* 7 Mondays: October 3-November 21 (No class on Monday October 10)
* All classes meet from 6:00pm-10:00 pm at the Malkin Athletic Center - 100% attendance is required.
* Register for this course online between 9/19-10/7.If space is available, late registration will be permitted until 10/16 but a $10 late fee will be added.
* To access the registration link go to: http://recreation.gocrimson.com/recreation/activities/swimprograms
* Additional questions can be directed to alan.budreau at gmail.com<mailto:alan.budreau at gmail.com> 781 724-8746
TENNIS CLINICS & LESSONS
* Come on down to the Murr and Beren Tennis Centers for the Noon or 7pm Tennis Clinics!
* Clinics are taught by Michael Mercier, Harvard Tennis Professional. You may attend any or all of them, no sign up necessary. The clinics are geared towards players of intermediate level NTRP 3.0 or higher. Participation ranges anywhere from 2 players to 16 players.
* Tennis Lessons are also taught by Michael Mercier. Please contact him at mercier at fas.harvard.edu<mailto:mercier at fas.harvard.edu> to set up a time!
STRENGTH TRAINING ORIENTATIONS & CLINICS
* Looking for an efficient workout? Want to learn how to use the machines safely and properly? Register for a Strength Training Orientation at the MAC or Hemenway. Strength Training orientations are 45-minute sessions, during which members are led through a row of circuit machines by a certified personal trainer. *Cost: $5/ participant (fee MUST be collected at the respective gym's front desk at the time of sign up; all participants are required to have gym memberships).
* For additional information please go to: http://recreation.gocrimson.com/fitness/strength_trainingorientations
* Please contact Mike at hempt at fas.harvard.edu<mailto:hempt at fas.harvard.edu> for additional information.
Upcoming Basic STOs:
1. Wednesday, October 12th 12:15-1:10pm @ THE MALKIN ATHLETIC CENTER
2. Wednesday, November 2nd 5:15-6:00pm @ HEMENWAY GYMNASIUM
SAVE THE DATE FOR FALL PROGRAMS
* FREE NIA Workshop - Friday October 7th 5:30PM Hemenway Gymnasium
* HEMENWAY YOGA WORKSHOPS http://recreation.gocrimson.com/fitness/Yoga_Workshops
* ZUMBA PINK PARTY Tuesday, October 18th 5:30-6:55pm http://recreation.gocrimson.com/Zumbapink
* Pilates for Pink Thursday, October 20th 5:00-5:55pm http://recreation.gocrimson.com/P4P
THE CENTER FOR WELLNESS PRESENTS HARVARD ON THE MOVE & YOGA IN THE YARD
* Harvard On The Move is a University-wide initiative that promotes physical and psychological wellness for students, faculty, staff and alumni, as well as our neighbors in Cambridge and Boston. The program sponsors weekly walks and runs, in addition to workshops and lectures highlighting cutting-edge research and practical information. Meet new people, get some fresh air and exercise!
* For the current schedule: www.harvard.edu/onthemove<http://www.harvard.edu/onthemove> or join our list serve by e-mailing: onthemove-list-join at lists.fas.harvard.edu<mailto:onthemove-list-join at lists.fas.harvard.edu>
* Yoga in the yard
o Thursdays 5:00-6:00pm - in front of Memorial Church. Steady rain cancels class.
o Please contact Kerry at ptrainer at fas.harvard.edu<mailto:ptrainer at fas.harvard.edu> for additional information.
* Golf Lessons: $60, 3 Lessons: $160, 5 Lessons: $240
* For inquiries contact Jim Burke directly at jrburke at fas.harvard.edu<mailto:jrburke at fas.harvard.edu>; (617) 495-3454
* Golf Simulator - Fee: $25/hr (up to four people) You must bring your own equipment.
* For questions call the Murr Center Front Desk at (617) 495-3454 or email Casey Blodget, caseyblodget at fas.harvard.edu<mailto:caseyblodget at fas.harvard.edu>
ROWING *Swim test required
* Lessons: Dan Boyne, boyne at fas.harvard.edu<mailto:boyne at fas.harvard.edu>; (617) 495-3454
* Seasonal and yearly memberships are sold in the Ellen and Melvin Gordon Conditioning Center within the Murr Center, M-F, 9am-5pm. Each season costs $50 or you may purchase a yearly membership for $150.
* General Recreational Rowing Dates 2011: Fall Season September 6th-October28th
* Weld Boathouse- Preliminary Novice Lessons are $15/hr and Private Instruction will be $50/hr
SAILING *Swim test required
* Lessons: Bern Noack, BCNoack at fas.harvard.edu<mailto:BCNoack at fas.harvard.edu>; (617) 495-3434
* Seasonal and yearly memberships are sold in the Ellen and Melvin Gordon Conditioning Center within the Murr Center Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm. Instruction is by appointment. Private Instruction is $50.00/hr
* Orientations for new members to be shown how to rig are held every Wednesday at 5:30pm. During the summer these orientations will also be held on Saturdays at 2:30pm.
* General Recreational Sailing Dates 2011: Fall September 1st -October 31st Tuesday-Friday 1pm-7pm
* Seasonal Membership: $50
1. Students, Faculty, Staff and affiliates that wish to row at any point during their affiliation with Harvard must successfully complete a swimming test.
2. The swimming test consists of 100 yards of any stroke except the backstrokes and must show good forward progress (i.e., swimmers are not allowed to stop, hang on the lane lines or touch the bottom) in order to pass.
3. You must be an officer/student/staff with a Harvard ID or be a Harvard Affiliate with a Harvard Athletic Facility pass to take the Harvard Swim test.
4. Tests will be given during regular hours of operation until 15 minutes prior to closing time. You must show your Harvard ID prior to taking the test.
5. Lost Cards will not be replaced.
6. SIGN YOUR SWIM CARD!
Assistant Fitness Manager
Assistant Fitness Manager
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Athleticfacilitymembers-list