[Gen-Ed-Announce-list] Art-making=Risk-taking, Today, 3-5 p.m.

Program in General Education gened at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 29 10:44:51 EDT 2010

Good morning,

We would appreciate your help announcing the following event to your
students and encouraging them to also sign-up for this e-mail list here
<http://lists.fas.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/gen-ed-announce-list> .

Thank you,
Program in General Education

--

The
<http://arts-hum.fas.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k45201&pageid=icb.page28

invites you to

"Art-making=Risk-taking"

An interactive showcase of 12 to 14 classes inspired and supported by the
Harvard Arts Initiative, including
Literature and Arts B-85,  <http://www.courses.fas.harvard.edu/2449>
"American Musicals and American Culture," taught by Professor Carol J. Oja,
and
Culture and Belief 12,  <http://www.courses.fas.harvard.edu/7027> "For the
Love of God and His Prophet: Religion, Literature, and the Arts in Muslim
Cultures," taught by Professor Ali Asani.

Today, Thursday, April 29, 2010

3:00-5:00 p.m.

Ticknor
<http://map.harvard.edu/mapserver/campusmap.htm?ctrx=759577.5&ctry=2961302.5
&level=9&layers=Campus%20Base,Map%20Text>  Lounge, Boylston Hall

Below is an article from The Harvard Crimson regarding the event.

Exposing
<http://www.thecrimson.harvard.edu/article/2010/4/27/art-making-risk-taking/
>  the Risk-taking in Art-making

Harvard Arts Initiative will showcase examples of bold art-making featured
in classes

By Catherine
<http://www.thecrimson.harvard.edu/writer/1204766/Catherine_A_Morris/>  A
Morris, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Published: Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Art is a discourse and language that the average Harvard student is rarely
compelled to examine deeply, particularly if that student is in the midst of
midterms and exams, or churning out papers and problem sets. It is precisely
this problem that the Harvard Task Force on the Arts has sought to rectify.
As the Task Force has affirmed, "To allow innovation and imagination to
thrive on our campus, to educate and empower creative minds across all
disciplines, to help shape the twenty-first century, Harvard must make arts
an integral part of the cognitive life of the university: for along with the
sciences and the humanities, the arts-as they are both experienced and
practiced-are irreplaceable instruments of knowledge..." To this end, the
Harvard Arts Initiative is presenting the event "Art-making=Risk-taking"
this Thursday in the Ticknor Lounge at Boylston Hall from 3 to 5 p.m. This
event is the culmination of a months-long attempt to maximize the presence
of the arts in Harvard classrooms.

The event is an interactive showcase of 12 to 14 classes inspired and
supported by the Harvard Arts Initiative. The Initiative includes freshman
seminars, General Education and departmental courses, all emphasizing a
strong focus on engagement with art and development of students'
understanding of what it means to create art. The classes featured in this
event are only a few of the classes supported by the Initiative, and are
intended to offer the viewer a cross-sectional view of the project.

Literature and Arts B-85, "American Musicals and American Culture," taught
by Professor Carol J. Oja, will be featured in the event, focusing
specifically on a visit to the class by Lin Manuel Miranda, writer and
composer of "In the Heights." Miranda's visit was documented on film and
will be presented at the event. Miranda was an invaluable addition to the
class, according to course participant Margaret E. Johnson '11. "I thought
it was one of the best classes we had. He was incredibly entertaining, and
he made the class even more current and relevant, because his work is so
current." The class studied Miranda's work as the culmination of a survey of
American musical theater history and its political implications.

Culture and Belief 12, "For the Love of God and His Prophet: Religion,
Literature, and the Arts in Muslim Cultures." will also be showcased at
"Art-making=Risk-taking." Taught by Professor Ali Asani, students in the
class experiment with differing media traditional to the Islamic world, such
as calligraphy, mosque design and Islamic poetry. According to Asani,
focusing on a more interactive and personal way of understanding Islamic art
and culture is unusual and not without its challenges, but ultimately
successful. As he says, "[The class has] convinced me of the effectiveness
of the arts and literature as pedagogic bridges to understand the Islamic
worlds. It may be useful to just my specific subject, but I think it may be
useful to others. Arts are a fundamental aspect of the human experience and
what it means to be human."

Courses such as Culture and Belief 12 can compel its students to come to an
individualized understanding and expression of a certain art. For that
reason, the class and others like it are not for the faint of heart. As
Professor Asani says: "Those [Harvard students] who are afraid of taking a
risk are not likely to take a course like this, but the students who are
open to challenging themselves would find this course rewarding." Peyton G.
Greenside '11, a student in the course, agrees. "I really enjoyed the
artistic projects in the class because they offer a new way to interact with
the material," she writes in an e-mail. "You gain something more when you
not only study religion, history and culture, but use them to construct an
original work like designing a mosque for an urban American environment."

Art can sometimes seem like too abstract of a concept in the often
quantitative academic environment of Harvard. In reality, however, the
creation of art is simply another form of understanding and thinking.
"Art-making=Risk-taking" celebrates a new direction in the pursuit of
knowledge at Harvard.

-Staff writer Catherine A. Morris can be reached at morris6 at fas.harvard.edu

--

Program in General Education