[gov3009-l] Andrew C. Thomas on "Symmetry and Competition in State Legislative Election Systems".

Justin Grimmer jgrimmer at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Oct 29 13:49:53 EDT 2007

Dear Applied Statistics Community,

This week we present Andrew C. Thomas, G-4 Department of Statistics,  who
will present his work on "Symmetry and Competition in State Legislative
Election Systems".  Andrew has provided the following abstract for his
presentation:

Drawing of legislative districts has historically been conducted by the
legislators themselves; recently, some states have appointed redistricting
commissions, the members of which cannot run for seats in the legislature
for a period afterwards. I demonstrate that current methods, in particular
the Gelman-King model and the JudgeIt R package, can easily diagnose the
state of an electoral map given previous electoral conditions. In
particular, competition increases in states with commissions, but the impact
on symmetry is as yet unclear. I conclude with a discussion on techniques to
improve the resolution and measurement of electoral symmetry within states.

Please join us this Wednesday at 12noon for the presentation and a light
lunch.  We hold the workshop in Room N-354 of CGIS-Knafel (1737 Cambridge
St).

I hope that you will be able to attend

Cheers,

Justin Grimmer