[gov3009-l] Ansolabehere on "Vote Validation in the 2006 CCES"

Justin Grimmer jgrimmer at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Oct 13 14:05:26 EDT 2008

Dear Applied Statistics Community,

Please join us this Wednesday (October 15th) when Stephen Ansolabehere,
Professor in Harvard's Department of Government, will present his work on
"Vote Validation in the 2006 CCES".  Stephen provided the following
abstract,

New technology and recent political reform have made vote validation an
easier and

more reliable process than it has been in the past. We present a basic
summary of the

vote validation procedure used in the 2006 CCES, a Web-based survey of
nearly 35,000

Americans that has been validated electronically with new state-wide voter
files. As

the validation method in the CCES is quite different from the method used by
the

National Election Studies (NES) in the 1960s through 1980s, we compare the
CCES

procedure and results with the most recent midterm elections validated by
the NES.

We show that while the rate of vote misreporting is substantially higher in
the 2006

Web-based survey, the pattern of misreporting is consistent with the NES
samples. We

also show how the large sample size in the CCES can be exploited to study
phenomena

beyond vote misreporting using the validated records.

A paper is available for download here (
http://people.fas.harvard.edu/~jgrimmer/AnsolabeherePaper.pdf)

The applied statistics workshop meets at 12 noon in Room K-354, CGIS Knafel
(1737 Cambridge St), with a light lunch.  Our presentations begin at 1215
and usually conclude around 130 pm.  As always, everyone is welcome!

Cheers
Justin Grimmer