[gov3009-l] Applied Statistics Workshop: Dany Bahar on Wed., April 4

Konstantin Kashin kkashin at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 2 09:59:16 EDT 2012

Dear all,

Please join us for the Applied Statistics Workshop (Gov 3009) this
Wednesday, April 4 from 12.00 - 1.30 pm in CGIS Knafel Room 354. Dany
Bahar<http://scholar.harvard.edu/dbaharc/content/dany-bahar-0>,
a Ph.D. Candidate in Public Policy at the Harvard Kennedy School, will give
a presentation entitled "International Knowledge Diffusion and the
Comparative Advantage of Nations". As always, a light lunch will be
provided.

Abstract:

> In this paper we document that the probability that a product is added to
> a country's export basket is, on average, 65% larger if a neighboring
> country is a successful exporter of that same product. We interpret our
> result as evidence of international intra-industry knowledge diffusion. Our
> results are consistent with the overall consensus in the literature on
> technology spillovers: diffusion is stronger at shorter distances; is
> weaker for more knowledge-intensive products; and has become faster over
> time.

This is joint work with Ricardo Hausmann and Cesar Hidalgo.

http://www.iq.harvard.edu/events/node/1208.

Ph.D. Student in Government

E-mail: kkashin at fas.harvard.edu