[gov3009-l] Applied Statistics Workshop: Hanspeter Pfister on Wed., February 29

Konstantin Kashin kkashin at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Feb 27 01:30:12 EST 2012

Dear all,

Please join us for the Applied Statistics Workshop (Gov 3009) this
Wednesday, February 29 from 12.00 - 1.30 pm in CGIS Knafel Room 354. Hanspeter
Pfister <http://gvi.seas.harvard.edu/pfister>, Gordon McKay Professor of
Computer Science at the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences at
Harvard University, will give a presentation entitled "Visual Computing in
Biology". As always, a light lunch will be provided.

Abstract:

> Many areas in science are experiencing a flood of data arising in part
> from the development of instruments that acquire information on an
> unprecedented scale. This is particularly true in biology, where huge
> amounts of heterogeneous data are acquired from microarrays, scanners,
> microscopes, and various other instruments. Visual computing tools are
> essential to gain insights into this data by combining computational
> analysis with the power of the human perceptual and cognitive system and
> enabling data exploration through interactive visualizations. In this talk
> I will present some of my group's work in visual computing and give an
> overview of several successful visualization projects in the areas of
> genomics and systems biology. I then will focus on our work on visual
> computing in Connectomics, a new field in neuroscience that aims to apply
> biology and computer science to the grand challenge of determining the
> detailed neural circuitry of the brain.

http://www.iq.harvard.edu/events/node/1208.

Ph.D. Student in Government

E-mail: kkashin at fas.harvard.edu