[gov3009-l] Applied Statistics Workshop: Teppei Yamamoto on Wed., March 28

Konstantin Kashin kkashin at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 26 02:00:38 EDT 2012

Dear all,

Please join us for the Applied Statistics Workshop (Gov 3009) this
Wednesday, March 28 from 12.00 - 1.30 pm in CGIS Knafel Room 354. Teppei
Yamamoto, Assistant Professor at the Department of Political Science at
MIT, will give a presentation entitled "A Multinomial Response Model for
Varying Choice Sets, with Application to Partially Contested Multiparty
Elections". As always, a light lunch will be provided.

Abstract:

> This paper proposes a new multinomial choice model which explicitly takes
> into account variation in choice sets across observations. The proposed
> varying choice set logit model relaxes the independence of irrelevant
> alternatives assumption by allowing the individual random utility function
> to directly depend on choice set types, and can be applied to a variety of
> data in which some individuals can only choose from a subset of the
> theoretically possible responses. Both frequentist and Bayesian
> simulation-based estimation procedures are developed using the Monte Carlo
> expectation-maximization algorithm and Markov chain Monte Carlo,
> respectively. The proposed model can be used to analyze survey data in
> partially contested multiparty elections in which some political parties do
> not run their candidates in every district. For illustration, I apply the
> proposed method to the 1996 Japanese general election, where none of the
> districts was contested by all of the six major parties.

http://www.iq.harvard.edu/events/node/1208.

Ph.D. Student in Government

E-mail: kkashin at fas.harvard.edu