[gov3009-l] Applied Statistics Workshop: Hainmueller and Yamamoto on Wed., Nov. 28

Konstantin Kashin kkashin at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Nov 26 02:34:56 EST 2012

Hello all,

We hope you can join us this Wednesday, November 28, 2012 for the final
Applied Statistics Workshop of the semester. Jens Hainmueller (Associate
Professor) and Teppei Yamamoto (Assistant Professor) from the Department of
Political Science at MIT will give a presentation entitled "Causal
Inference in Conjoint Analysis: Understanding Multi-Dimensional Choices via
Stated Preference Experiments". A light lunch will be served at 12 pm and
the talk will begin at 12.15.

Abstract:

> For decades, market researchers have used conjoint analysis to understand
> how consumers make decisions when faced with multi-dimensional choices. In
> such analyses, respondents are asked to score or rank a set of
> alternatives, where each alternative is defined by multiple attributes
> which are varied randomly or intentionally. Political scientists are
> frequently interested in parallel questions about decision-making, yet to
> date conjoint analysis has seen little use within the field. In this
> manuscript, we demonstrate the potential value of conjoint analysis in
> political science, using examples about vote choice and immigrant admission
> to the United States. In doing so, we develop a set of statistical tools
> for drawing causal conclusions from stated preference data based on the
> potential outcomes framework of causal inference. We discuss the causal
> estimands of interest and provide a formal analysis of the assumptions
> required for identifying those quantities. Prior conjoint analyses have
> typically used designs which limit the number of unique conjoint profiles.
> We employ a survey experiment to compare this approach to a fully
> randomized approach. Both our formal analysis of the causal estimands and
> our empirical results highlight the potential biases of common approaches
> to conjoint analysis which restrict the number of profiles.

http://www.iq.harvard.edu/events/node/1208.

Ph.D. Candidate in Government

E-mail: kkashin at fas.harvard.edu