[gov3009-l] Applied Statistics Workshop: Thales Teixeira on Wed., Oct. 10

Konstantin Kashin kkashin at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Oct 8 02:39:27 EDT 2012

*Dear all,

Please join us for the Applied Statistics Workshop (Gov 3009) this
Wednesday, October 10 from 12.00 - 1.30 pm in CGIS Knafel Room 354. Thales
Teixeira <http://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Pages/profile.aspx?facId=522373>,
Assistant Professor of Business Administration at the Harvard Business
School, will give a presentation entitled "Viral Video Advertising". As
always, a light lunch will be provided.

Abstract:*

To become viral, online video ads need to be viewed and then shared. Yet,
> what works for one decision may not work for the other. In this research we
> propose a novel consumer-centric model of viral advertising consisting of
> viewing and sharing decisions. We apply the model to assess the role of
> humor, present in 91% of viral ads, by teasing out the differential impact
> that type of humor (pure or shocking) has on each decision. In the lab, we
> record the facial expressions of consumers as they watch online ads
> containing either pure (i.e., smile, laughter) or shocking humor (e.g.,
> shock from profanity), and examine its impact on their decisions. The video
> data is processed using face tracking software and used to calibrate a
> dynamic sequential model that accounts for both within and cross-decision
> dynamics. We find that shocking humor increases viewing but reduces sharing
> compared to no humor at all. Yet, content isn't the only factor of viral ad
> success; individual traits also matter. We also find that highly
> extraverted and self-directed consumers share humor ads more often and to a
> broader group of people each time. The magnitude of the effects of these
> two novel findings is then measured in a viral field study in which we
> selectively sent ads to participants and tracked views derived from
> sharing. We find that extraverted people garnered 300% more total views by
> sharing non-shocking humor ads than introverted people sharing ads low in
> humor.

**
http://www.iq.harvard.edu/events/node/1208.

Ph.D. Candidate in Government