[gov3009-l] Applied Statistics Workshop: Jamie Robins on Wed., Sept. 12

Konstantin Kashin kkashin at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Sep 10 01:34:15 EDT 2012

Dear all,
Please join us for the Applied Statistics Workshop (Gov 3009) this
Wednesday, September 12 from 12.00 - 1.30 pm in CGIS Knafel Room 354. Jamie
Robins <http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/faculty/james-robins/>, Professor of
Epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health, will give a
presentation entitled "A Simple Unification of the Potential Outcome and
Causal Graph Approaches to Causal Inference". As always, a light lunch will
be provided.

Abstract:
**

> Potential outcomes are extensively used within statistics, epidemiology,
> and political science for reasoning about causation. Directed acyclic
> graphs are another formalism used to represent causal systems. They are
> extensively used in computer science, bioinformatics, sociology and
> epidemiology. It is natural to wish to unify them.

We present a simple approach to this unification. The approach is based on
> the idea of splitting nodes to construct graphs whose nodes are potential
> outcomes. The resulting graph can be used to read off counterfactual
> independencies. These independencies are satisfied by all previously
> proposed graphical and nongraphical causal models. We review many examples
> to illustrate the power of this approach.

This is joint work with Thomas Richardson at the University of Washington.

http://www.iq.harvard.edu/events/node/1208.

Ph.D. Candidate in Government

E-mail: kkashin at fas.harvard.edu