[gov3009-l] Applied Statistics Workshop: Sasha Killewald on Wed. April 3

Konstantin Kashin kkashin at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 1 11:11:03 EDT 2013

Dear all,

We hope you can join us this Wednesday, April 3, 2013 from 12-1.30pm for
the Applied Statistics Workshop in CGIS Knafel 354. Sasha
Killewald<http://scholar.harvard.edu/akillewald>,
Assistant Professor of Sociology at Harvard University, will give a
presentation entitled "His Gain, Her Pain? The Motherhood Penalty and the
Fatherhood Premium within Coresidential Couples". A light lunch will be
served at 12 pm and the talk will begin at 12.15.

Abstract:

> Prior research on the association between parenthood and wages has focused
> at the individual level, documenting a substantial motherhood wage penalty
> and a smaller fatherhood premium. However, the majority of births occur to
> coresidential couples, yet we know little about the within-couple
> association between the motherhood penalty and fatherhood premium.
> Specialization suggests that women who experience the largest motherhood
> penalty will tend to be partnered with fathers with the largest premium.
> However, it is also possible that some couples are better able to defray
> the wage costs of parenthood for both parents. We bring a dyad perspective
> to the study of the interaction between parenthood and wages and use
> random-coefficients models to answer the following questions: 1) What is
> the average association between the motherhood penalty and the fatherhood
> premium within couples? 2) How does assortative mating on the basis of
> race, education, and post-parenthood specialization on paid and unpaid
> labor time contribute to this association?

http://events.iq.harvard.edu/events/node/1208.

Ph.D. Candidate in Government

E-mail: kkashin at fas.harvard.edu