[gov3009-l] Applied Stats Workshop: Vadhan on "Privacy Tools for Sharing Research Data"

Konstantin Kashin kkashin at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 22 00:21:34 EDT 2013

Dear all,

We hope you can join us this Wednesday, April 24, 2013 from 12-1.30pm for
the Applied Statistics Workshop in CGIS Knafel 354. Salil
Vadhan<http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~salil/>,
Professor of Computer Science and Applied Mathematics from the School of
Engineering & Applied Sciences at Harvard University, will give a
presentation entitled "Privacy Tools for Sharing Research Data". A light
lunch will be served at 12 pm and the talk will begin at 12.15.

Abstract:

> I will give an overview of a large, new multidisciplinary project at
> Harvard on "Privacy Tools for Sharing Research Data." The project is a
> collaborative effort between the Center for Research on Computation and
> Society, the Institute for Quantitative Social Science, and the Berkman
> Center for Internet and Society, and is funded as a Frontier grant in the
> NSF Secure and Trustworthy Cyberspace Program, building on seed funding
> from Google.

The goal of the project is to help enable the collection, analysis, and
> sharing of personal data for research in social science and other fields
> while providing privacy for individual subjects. Bringing together computer
> science, social science, statistics, and law, we seek to refine and develop
> definitions and measures of privacy and data utility, and design an array
> of technological, legal, and policy tools for social scientists to use when
> dealing with sensitive data. These tools will be tested and deployed at the
> Harvard Institute for Quantitative Social Science's Dataverse Network, an
> open-source digital repository that offers the largest catalogue of social
> science datasets in the world. In addition to contributing to research
> infrastructure for social scientists around the world, the ideas developed
> in the project may benefit society more broadly as it grapples with data
> privacy issues in many other domains, including public health and
> electronic commerce.

http://events.iq.harvard.edu/events/node/1208.

Ph.D. Candidate in Government

E-mail: kkashin at fas.harvard.edu