[gov3009-l] Applied Statistics Workshop: Laura Hatfield on Wed., Feb. 6

Konstantin Kashin kkashin at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Feb 4 01:49:10 EST 2013

Dear all,

We hope you can join us this Wednesday, February 6, 2013 from 12-1.30 in in
CGIS Knafel Room 354 for the Applied Statistics Workshop. Laura
Hatfield<http://www.hcp.med.harvard.edu/node/2930>,
an Assistant Professor from the Department of Health Care Policy at the
Harvard Medical School, will give a presentation entitled "Statistical
properties and health policy applications of microsimulation". A light
lunch will be served at 12 pm and the talk will begin at 12.15.

Abstract:

> When forecasting the impact of novel policy interventions, simulations are
> standard. If the behavior of the entire system is complex and not well
> identified by existing data, simulations that focus on the behavior of
> smaller units, such as individuals, may be preferred. So-called
> microsimulation models can incorporate complications such as clustering,
> nonlinearity, non-standard distributions, and time-dependence. This talk
> will present an overview of microsimulation techniques, with a focus on
> statistical features and dynamic (vs static) simulation, especially in
> health policy settings. I will also describe the current development of a
> model of health insurance coverage and health care spending of Medicare
> beneficiaries.

http://events.iq.harvard.edu/events/node/1208.

Ph.D. Candidate in Government

E-mail: kkashin at fas.harvard.edu