[gov3009-l] Applied Statistics Workshop: Fernando Martel Garcia on Wed., Feb. 20

Konstantin Kashin kkashin at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Feb 18 02:52:41 EST 2013

Dear all,

Please join us for the Applied Statistics Workshop (Gov 3009) this
Wednesday, February 20 from 12.00 - 1.30 pm in CGIS Knafel Room 354. Fernando
Martel Garcia <http://www.iq.harvard.edu/people/fernando-martel-garcia>, a
Research Fellow at the Harvard School of Public Health, will give a
presentation entitled "When and Why is Attrition a Problem in Randomized
Controlled Experiments and How to Diagnose It".  As always, a light lunch
will be provided.

Abstract:

> Attrition is the Achilles' Heel of the randomized experiment: it is fairly
> common, and it can unravel the benefits of randomization. This study
> considers when and why attrition is a problem, and how it can be diagnosed.
> The extant literature remains ambiguous because it relies on the language
> of probability, whereas problematic attrition depends on the underlying
> causal relations. This ambiguity arises because causation implies
> correlation but not vice versa. Using the structural causal language of
> directed acyclic graphs I show attrition is a problem when it is an active
> collider between the treatment and the outcome, or when the latent outcome
> is a mediator between the treatment and the attrition. Moreover, whether
> observed outcomes are representative of all outcomes, or only comparable
> across experimental arms, depends on two d-separation conditions. One of
> these is directly testable from the data.

http://events.iq.harvard.edu/events/node/1208.

Ph.D. Candidate in Government

E-mail: kkashin at fas.harvard.edu