[gov3009-l] Applied Statistics Workshop: Dariush Mozaffarian on Wed., Feb. 27

Konstantin Kashin kkashin at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Feb 26 00:58:54 EST 2013

Dear all,

We hope you can join us this Wednesday, February 27, 2013 from 12.00 - 1.30
pm in CGIS Knafel Room 354 for the Applied Statistics Workshop. Dariush
Mozaffarian <http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/dariush-mozaffarian/>, Associate
Professor in the Department of Epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public
Health, will give a presentation entitled "Estimating the Global Impact of
Poor Dietary Habits on Chronic Diseases". A light lunch will be served at
12 pm and the talk will begin at 12.15.

Abstract:

> Nearly every nation in the world is undergoing rapid epidemiologic
> transition toward noncommunicable chronic diseases (NCDs) including
> cardiovascular disease (CVD), obesity, diabetes, and cancers. Numerous
> organizations including the United Nations, World Health Organization, US
> Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and other national and
> international organizations have emphasized the importance of dietary
> habits as a key risk factor for NCDs. Yet, the burdens of suboptimal
> dietary habits on NCDs globally, as well as heterogeneity in these burdens
> by region, country, age, and sex, are not established. Quantification of
> these burdens has been limited by inadequate or absent data on dietary
> habits in many nations, not only for each country as a whole, but also for
> age- and sex-specific strata. As part of our work in the 2010 Global Burden
> of Diseases Nutrition and Chronic Diseases Group, we systematically
> identified and obtained data on national and subnational individual-level
> surveys of dietary consumption worldwide; and used a Bayesian hierarchical
> model to evaluate and account for differences in comparability, assessment
> methods, representativeness, and missingness. We also quantified effects of
> dietary habits on NCDs, including differences by age, in new meta-analyses.
> We compiled additional data to quantify the alternative optimal
> distribution of key dietary risk factors, and the numbers of cause-specific
> deaths by country, age, and sex. Using this compilation of global data, we
> used comparative risk assessment to quantify the impacts of current dietary
> habits on NCDs in each nation around the world. The case of sugar-sweetened
> beverages (SSBs) and CVD, adiposity-related cancers, and diabetes will be
> presented as an example of our newest findings.

http://events.iq.harvard.edu/events/node/1208.

Ph.D. Candidate in Government

E-mail: kkashin at fas.harvard.edu