[gov3009-l] Applied Statistics Workshop: Alyssa Goodman on Wed., March 6

Konstantin Kashin kkashin at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 4 01:51:26 EST 2013

Dear all,

We hope you can join us this Wednesday, March 6, 2013 from 12.00 - 1.30 pm
in CGIS Knafel Room 354 for the Applied Statistics Workshop. Alyssa
Goodman<https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/~agoodman/>,
a Professor of Astronomy from the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for
Astrophysics, will give a presentation entitled "Seeing More in Data". A
light lunch will be served at 12 pm and the talk will begin at 12.15.

Abstract:

> Some scientists still think that good data visualization is only necessary
> when presenting work to "the public." In truth, thinking hard about how to
> learn the most from any data set should always involve some form of graph,
> map, chart, or other visual statistical display. This talk will demonstrate
> how visualization techniques that include so-called "linked views" offer
> new insights to researchers visualizing large and/or diverse data sets. In
> particular, the talk will highlight a few high-dimensional visualization
> examples where ideas about linked views first put forth by John Tukey are
> extended beyond two-dimensional displays and point clouds. Examples will be
> principally drawn from astronomy and medical imaging, and software
> highlighted will include the Universe Information System known as
> "WorldWide Telescope" (worldwidetelescope.org) and a new python-based
> linked-view system called "Glue" (glueviz.org).

http://events.iq.harvard.edu/events/node/1208.

Ph.D. Candidate in Government

E-mail: kkashin at fas.harvard.edu