[gov3009-l] Applied Statistics Workshop: Fowler and Hall on Wed., March 27

Konstantin Kashin kkashin at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 25 10:55:19 EDT 2013

Dear all,

We hope you can join us this Wednesday, March 27, 2013 for the Applied
Statistics Workshop in CGIS Knafel 354. Anthony
Fowler<http://www.gov.harvard.edu/people/anthony-fowler>and Andrew
B. Hall <http://www.andrewbenjaminhall.com/>, Ph.D. Candidates from the
Department of Government at Harvard University, will give a presentation
entitled "Do Legislators Cater to the Priorities of Their Constituents?". A
light lunch will be served at 12 pm and the talk will begin at 12.15.

Abstract:

> Republican and Democratic legislators vote differently on a large number
> of bills even when representing constituents of identical preferences.
> Because constituencies care about some issues more than others,
> representatives may give short shrift to the district's preferences on some
> topics while carefully mirroring them on others. The more a district cares
> about an issue, the more loyally we should see its legislators voting. As a
> consequence, we should expect the partisan gap in representation -- the
> difference in voting behavior between a Democrat and a Republican
> representing the same constituents -- to shrink on issues of greater
> concern to the district. We test this hypothesis in eight issue areas:
> agriculture, civil rights, defense, education, energy, public
> transportation, senior citizens' issues, and welfare. Contrary to
> expectation, we find little evidence that representational quality improves
> when constituents have strong personal interests. Across all issues
> examined, the representational gap between the parties is massive and does
> not shrink meaningfully in especially-interested districts.

http://events.iq.harvard.edu/events/node/1208.

Ph.D. Candidate in Government

E-mail: kkashin at fas.harvard.edu