[gov3009-l] Applied Stats 12/3

Dana Higgins danahiggins at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 1 10:13:35 EST 2014

Hi everyone!

For our final meeting of the Fall semester, this week we welcome* David
Deming*, a Professor of Economics and Education at the Harvard Graduate
School of Education.  He will be presenting work entitled *The Value of
Postsecondary Credentials in the Labor Market: An Experimental Study*.  An
abstract is included below and can be found on the website (here
<http://projects.iq.harvard.edu/applied.stats.workshop-gov3009/presentations/presenter-david-deming-value-postsecondary-credentials>
).

We will meet in CGIS Knafel Room 354 from 12-1:30 pm.  As usual, lunch will
be provided.  See you all there!

-- Dana Higgins

*Title:* The Value of Postsecondary Credentials in the Labor Market: An
Experimental Study

*Abstract:* We study employers’ perceptions of postsecondary degrees using
a field experiment. We randomly assign the sector and selectivity of
institution to fictitious resumes and send them to real vacancy postings on
a large online job board. According to our results, a bachelor’s degree in
business from a for-profit “online” institution is 22 percent less likely
to receive a callback than a similar degree from a non-selective public
institution. Degrees from selective public institutions are relatively more
likely to receive callbacks from employers posting higher-salaried jobs,
suggesting that employers value college quality and the likelihood of a
successful match when contacting applicants.