[gov3009-l] Applied Statistics - 9/23 - Dean Knox & Christopher Lucas

Aaron Kaufman aaronkaufman at fas.harvard.edu
Sun Sep 20 22:14:31 EDT 2015

Hi everyone!

This week at the Applied Statistics Workshop we will be welcoming *Dean
Knox and Christopher Lucas*, PhD Candidates in Political Science at MIT and
Government at Harvard, respectively.  They will be presenting work entitled *A
Model for Measuring Emotion in Political Speech with Audio Data*.  Please
find the abstract below and on the website
<http://projects.iq.harvard.edu/applied.stats.workshop-gov3009/presentations/chris-lucas-dean-knox-harvard-mit-once-more-feeling>
.

As usual, we will meet in CGIS Knafel Room 354 from noon to 1:30pm, and
lunch will be provided.  See you all there! To view previous Applied
Statistics presentations, please visit the website
<http://projects.iq.harvard.edu/applied.stats.workshop-gov3009/videos>.

-- Aaron Kaufman

Title: A Model for Measuring Emotion in Political Speech with Audio Data

Abstract: Though we generally assume otherwise, humans communicate using
more than bags of words alone. Auditory and visual cues convey important
information, such as emotion, in many phenomena of interest to political
scientists. However, in part due to the relative difficulty of processing
audio data, research has disproportionately focused on the textual
component of pre-transcribed corpora. We develop a new hidden Markov model
for emotional analysis to complement and extend existing methods for
text analysis.
The tools and model are applied to oral arguments in the Supreme Court and
Presidential campaign speeches.
--
Aaron R Kaufman
PhD Candidate, Harvard University