[gov3009-l] Applied Statistics - 3/30 - Nan Laird

Aaron Kaufman aaronkaufman at fas.harvard.edu
Sun Mar 27 18:06:15 EDT 2016

Hi everyone!

This week at the Applied Statistics Workshop we will be welcoming *Nan
Laird*, Harvey V. Fineberg Research Professor of Public Health in the
Department of Biostatistics at the Harvard University School of Public
Health. She will be presenting work entitled *Multivariate Problems in
Genetic Analysis**.*  Please find the abstract below and on the website
<http://projects.iq.harvard.edu/applied.stats.workshop-gov3009/presentations/3232016-panagiotis-panos-toulis-time-coming-soon>
.

As usual, we will meet in CGIS Knafel Room 354 from noon to 1:30pm, and
lunch will be provided.  See you all there! To view previous Applied
Statistics presentations, please visit the website
<http://projects.iq.harvard.edu/applied.stats.workshop-gov3009/videos>.

-- Aaron Kaufman

Title: Multivariate Problems in Genetic Analysis

Abstract:Complex diseases have multiple underlying contributing factors,
both genetic and environmental. In addition, the disease syndrome is often
characterized by numerous clinical traits that may be analyzed for
association with genes along with the disease status. Genome Wide
Association Analysis (GWAS) has been highly successful in identifying some
genetic loci associated with many disease syndromes and/or selected traits.
The purpose of the analysis of multiple traits may be to show consistency
and thereby strengthen the evidence, or to identify different loci for
different traits, or to gain additional power for new loci. In this talk we
describe an approach to integrating multiple phenotypes based on the
concepts of heritability and co-heritability. Our approach is designed for
GWAS and uses the genetic data both for the estimation of heritability and
using samples of cases and controls and for testing association.

--
Aaron R Kaufman
PhD Candidate, Harvard University