[HWSD] HWSD March Update # 2

Steph Morawski morawski at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 21 14:02:22 EST 2005

Women's Swimming & Diving
Monday, March 21, 2005

COACH'S CORNER
Harvard Women's Swimming and Diving finishes 36th in the country as Noelle
Bassi and Jackie Pangilinan became the first All-Americans in a decade.  I
am proud of both of them for remaining focused and swimming
strong.  Article from gocrimson.com below:

March 19, 2005

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - It was an eventful Saturday for two Harvard swimmers
in the final day of competition at the NCAA Championships as sophomore
<http://gocrimson.collegesports.com/sports/w-swim/mtt/bassi_noelle00.html>Noelle
Bassi (Franklin Lakes, N.J.) and freshman
<http://gocrimson.collegesports.com/sports/w-swim/mtt/pangilinan_jaclyn00.html>Jaclyn
Pangilinan (Clifton, N.J.) both set, then reset, school records.

Bassi swam a school-record 1:59.32 in the preliminaries of the 200-yard
butterfly Saturday before taking three-hundredths off of that time in the
consolation final. Bassi finished 15th overall in 1:59.29. Bassi now owns
the three fastest times in that event in school history.

Pangilinan, meanwhile, turned in a 2:14.91 performance in the 200
breaststroke, breaking a school record held by current Crimson head coach
<http://gocrimson.collegesports.com/sports/w-swim/mtt/wriedemorawski_stephanie00.html>Stephanie
Wriede Morawski '92 that had stood since 1992.   Pangilinan's mark didn't
last long, however, as she finished in 2:13.98 in the consolation final,
placing 15th in the individual standings.

Harvard was credited with a 36th-place finish in the overall team standings.
Complete results from the NCAA Championships are available through the
NCAA's
<http://www.ncaasports.com/swimming/womens/championship-results/2005/d1>official
website.

Samantha Papdakis was also very close to attending NCAAs.  The freshman
diver attended the Zone Diving Qualifier in Annapolis, MD and missed a bid
to NCAAs by less than a point.  She had an amazing year and plans to attend
the meet in 2006.

Season update:
10-0 record
Ivy Champions
3rd at ECAC
2 All-Americans
6 team records (200 fly, 400 IM, 100,200 breast, 50, 500 free)
6 Individuals with First Team All-Ivy Athletes
12 Individuals with Second Team All-Ivy Honors

ALUMNI UPDATE
PLEASE READ:  To all of you who donated to Friends of Harvard Swimming and
Diving already, thank you!  Asking for money is a difficult part of my job,
but if we want to stay on top, we do need to raise funds. I understand that
many of you are called by Harvard, HFRWA, graduate schools, etc. but think
about your experience as a Harvard swimmer or diver.  Those memories last a
lifetime.  We would appreciate any amount that you can contribute, but what
we would also like to establish is continued giving year after year.  A
$50-$100 contribution is less than $2 a day for a year.

*PARTICIPATION:  HRFWA has an incentive program designed to increase
participation among women.  The greater the number of donations from former
women swimmers and divers that we receive, the larger the percentage of the
$35,000 incentive we will receive in our Friends Account.  Any size
donation helps!

*Leading the way:  Congratulations to the Class of 1990 and 2000.  So far,
you have tied for the greatest number of contributors in your respective
classes.

*To give to Harvard online, please visit
<http://www.gocrimson.com/>www.gocrimson.com and click on Make a Gift.  All
donations are tax deductible and your contribution is GREATLY appreciated.

TEAM UPDATE
Captains:
2005-2006 HWSD Team Captains were selected last night.  Congratulations to
Joanna Lee '06 and Jessica Davidson '07 as our Co-Captain's Elect.

Time Trial:
Molly Ward won the 50 free at the Ivy Championships but she wanted to swim
the event one more time.  At an official time trial the next weekend, Molly
clocked 23.34 in the 50 free, breaking the previous record of 23.42 that
she shared with Linda Suhs.

Recruiting:
Although our regular action candidates are not notified by Harvard until
March 31, we are busy recruiting Juniors in high school.  If there is a
strong swimmer or diver in your area, please bring her to our attention and
forward an address, e-mail or phone number along with her name.

Top Times this Season:
50 free
Molly Ward                  23.34
Amanda Slaight            23.54