[HWSD] HWSD October Update # 1

Steph Morawski morawski at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 11 17:17:33 EDT 2006

*Women's Swimming & Diving *
***Wednesday, October 11, 2006*
**
*
COACH'S CORNER*
Take your mark...
Once again, we are hosting the bi-annual Alumni Meet on Saturday,
November 18 at 10:00 AM.  The pool will be available at 9:00 for warm
ups and family swim.  The event format (mostly 25's and 50's) will be
posted on our web site shortly. http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~swim/
<http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/%7Eswim/>
On line entries are encouraged.

Relays are always a highlight of the meet so gather your classmates
together!  Remember, the handicap is about .10 per 50 per year (although
I'll have to check on that!)  Varsity swimmers will also be
participating and can fill in on relays where needed.  Rumor has it that
Jessi Walter '03 has convinced Sarah Iannacone '02, Janna McDougall '02,
Erica DeBenedetto '04 and Catie Lee '02 to swim.  In addition Jeannie
Floyd Downs '84, Deb Zimic '84, Annie Wilson '86 and Susan Kim '84 are
all set to compete in a relay.  So, dust off your suits and get ready
for some fun!  Being in shape is not a requirement.

A barbecue will follow the meet prior to the Harvard/Yale football
game.  We do hope to see many of you in attendance.  Please RSVP to
Hilary Abrams at HSABRAMS at aol.com <mailto:HSABRAMS at aol.com> for the BBQ
so we have an estimate of how many people will attend.  Alumni,
families, parents and swimmers are all welcome.

*TEAM UPDATE*
The team has been training hard since our official start date on
September 24 (the calendar is moved up one week this year) where we
kicked off the season with a midnight practice.  Recently, we increased
both the yardage and intensity and the team seems to be handling it
quite well.  Although the infamous 55x100 set lurks in the future, they
did survive the Build up 200 IM set and excelled at the LA Freeway set
(the 10 x 200 passing game.)  In fact, freshman Alexandra Clarke posted
the fastest time twice with a 1:52.5, breaking the former record of
1:54.2 set by Laurin Weisenthal.  Not to be outdone, Laurin was also
under her previous record with a 1:53.7 and Emily Wilson clocked a
1:54.9 to round out the top three.

On Friday, October 20 we will have our annual Intrasquad meet.  The meet
will provide an opportunity to swim a full line up and includes both the
1650 and 400 IM.  Our team will definitely be ready for an opportunity
to get up and race in order to prepare for our first Ivy League meet
this year against Penn on November 4^th .

Visit www.gocrimson.com <http://www.gocrimson.com/> for all team
information and updates

Sat, Nov 04  Penn Blodgett Pool   Noon
Fri, Nov 10  Brown at Providence, R.I.   5 p.m.
Sun, Nov 12  Cornell and Dartmouth at Ithaca, N.Y.   Noon
Fri, Nov 17  Columbia Blodgett Pool   3 p.m.
Fri, Dec 01 - Sun, Dec 03  Georgia Invitational Meet   All day
Fri, Jan 05  Rutgers at Piscataway, N.J.   11 a.m.
Fri, Jan 26  New Hampshire Blodgett Pool   2 p.m.
Fri, Feb 02 - Sat, Feb 03  Princeton and Yale at Princeton, N.J.   6
p.m., Fri.; Noon, Sat.
Thu, Feb 15 - Sat, Feb 17  Ivy League Championships at Princeton, N.J.
All day
Fri, Feb 16 - Sun, Feb 18  ECAC Championships Blodgett Pool   All day
Thu, Mar 01 - Sat, Mar 03  NCAA Zone Diving at TBA   All day
Thu, Mar 08 - Sat, Mar 10  NCAA Championships at Minneapolis, Minn.
All day
* *
*ALUMNI NEWS*
Special thanks to our Class Agents who assisted in contacting their
classmates regarding contact information, meets and fund-raising.  If
you know of a swimmer or diver or fan who is not receiving our
electronic updates, please tell them to subscribe by either visiting our
website directly or sending contact information to me at
morawski at fas.harvard.edu <mailto:Morawski at fas.harvard.edu>

I'd also like to acknowledge and send a special thanks to our hard
working board members.  With their help, our Friends group met with
success in both fund raising and alumni events.
*Board Members:*
Hilary Cruz-Abrams, Co-chair
Denis Sirringhause, Co-chair
Connie Cervilla