[HWSD] HWSD June Update #1

Morawski, Stephanie Wriede morawski at fas.harvard.edu
Sun Jun 13 20:19:53 EDT 2010

Harvard Women’s Swimming and Diving

June 13, 2010

In this issue:
*Please donate to Harvard Swimming and Diving
*Senior Perspective Essay by Ali Clarke
*CLASS NOTES

COACH’S CORNER
ALUMNI AND FRIENDS--PLEASE DONATE to HARVARD SWIMMING AND DIVING by June 30, 2010

We still need to raise $15,000 to meet our 2010 budget and cover the costs incurred this past season. If you have already donated, THANK YOU!  If you have not, then please consider a donation to our program.  There are three ways to donate:

On line:
Go to www.gocrimson.com <http://www.gocrimson.com/> <http://www.gocrimson.com <http://www.gocrimson.com/> > and click on Support Athletics on the top right
Direct link:
https://secure.post.harvard.edu/olc/pub/HAA/onlinegiving/showGivingForm.jsp?DB_OEM_ID=9000&amp;form_id=117 <https://secure.post.harvard.edu/olc/pub/HAA/onlinegiving/showGivingForm.jsp?DB_OEM_ID=9000&amp;form_id=117>

OR

Call the Varsity Club at either 617-495-3535 or 617-495-3601 and they can process your donation with a credit card

OR

Send a check to:
Friends of Harvard Swimming and Diving
Murr Center
65 N. Harvard St.
Boston, MA  02163

THANK YOU!!!

TEAM UPDATE
Senior Captains are asked to write an essay sharing the importance of their athletic experience.  Below is the essay from our 2009-2010 captain Alexandra Clarke.  Friends of our program will enjoy reading this senior perspective and our alumni will hopefully reminisce about their own experiences. Enjoy!

My favorite memory of my time on Harvard Women’s Swimming and Diving comes far away from Blodgett Pool: two girls doing an interpretive dance to R. Kelly’s “I believe I Can Fly,” as fellow hotel guests watch from their balconies. In fact, this dance was just one of many talents presented by my teammates at the First Annual HWSD Talent Show over winter training trip in Barbados this year. The talents ranged from the absurd to the hilarious to the downright impressive, and each presentation was a demonstration of the individuality of our team members. I think this will always be one of the defining moments from my experience in Harvard athletics, for it never ceased to amaze me how more than thirty fiercely independent women could band together and unite as a team.
My junior season 2009 ended in jubilation as our entire team, including coaches, jumped in the Nassau County Aquatic Center after our team clinched the Ivy League Championship title. We only graduated two seniors from that team and we brought in an extremely talented class of freshmen last fall, so I found myself in a state of shock as the last day of competition, my last Ivy Championships, came to a close and we found ourselves in second place. My coach, Steph Morawski, and I went into her office during the diving break to add up all the possible outcomes of the last two events; it became depressingly clear that it was mathematically impossible for us to defend our title.
People often talk about the individuality of the sport of swimming, but this defining moment in my coach’s office once again proved the crucial team aspect of Harvard Women’s Swimming and Diving. While I was happy with my performance at the meet, and I knew I would have the opportunity to swim again three weeks later at the NCAA Championships, experiencing our team defeat was a crushing blow. (Final score: Princeton: 1,465 Harvard: 1,438.) We had worked tirelessly since last spring to prepare for the annual Clash of the Titans with rival Princeton, and to fall short of the title by less than thirty points was devastating, both as a competitor and as team co-captain.
            It is rare for one to be able to say they have worked at something for their entire life, but I can honestly say that swimming has been a constant in mine for as long as I can remember. I competed in my first meet – a 25-yard freestyle - when I was just three years old. At nine, I joined a club team and began the all-consuming journey of competitive swimming. My relationship with the sport has changed over my lifetime. When I was six, I used to beg my mom to let me go swimming during the winter because I missed the feel of the water on my skin. When I was eleven, I cried because I wanted to trade in my goggles and kickboard for horseback riding lessons with my friends. Two weeks after turning eighteen, I came to Harvard and became a proud member of Harvard Women’s Swimming and Diving Team and embarked on the greatest athletic experience of my life. I found a group of thirty-five talented young women who understood the brutality of morning practices and the profound reward of a “personal best time.”  Most importantly, I developed an everlasting bond with Coach Steph Morawski. She is the quintessential college coach who, on a daily basis for the past four years, inspired me, trained me, and carved a specific path for my success.
            I was fortunate to be part of very successful school and club teams throughout high school; however, it wasn’t until I came to Harvard, where we all wore the same suit at every practice and talked about what line-up of events would give us the best shot of winning as a team, that I truly understood what it meant to rely on your teammates for success. As a former Harvard record-setting breaststroker, Coach Morawski inspires us each day to be proud of who we are and what we can achieve together. Harvard Women’s Swimming and Diving is special in that we can train our hardest every day to beat each other in practice, but come meet time we are a united force, and it does not matter who wins as long as the first swimmer at the touch pad is wearing a Harvard cap.
            As an Arizona native, I certainly did not choose Harvard for the weather, or because it was close to home. Rather, I wanted to be a part of a successful Division 1 program, but I also valued my education and wanted to attend a school that would allow me to balance my academics and athletics. During recruiting, it was clear from my discussions with Steph, and the HWSD team members, that Harvard offers its athletes a unique opportunity to succeed in their sport while living a well-rounded life as a college student. Juggling eight practices per week, studying, and attending class has been challenging, but the support I have received on both sides of the river over the past four years has been invaluable to my success as a Harvard student-athlete.
I have accomplished all of my swim goals, and now that my career has come to an end, I am looking forward to a new set of challenges that I will face out of the pool. Though I am not sure I will ever revert back to that little six-year-old telling her mom how much she misses the feel of the water on her skin, I do know that I will miss the competition and friendship of my teammates and coaches, and I will always be proud to have been a Harvard athlete.

ALUMNI NOTES

JUNE 2010 UPDATES
Class of 2008 – Class Agent: Lindsay Hart
Lindsay Hart
Hi all! Just started a new job at the beginning of May. Still working in advertising but at a new agency, Deutsch Inc. It's a bit more of a commute but I love working in the Chelsea area and I am enjoying the company so far. Andy and I moved to a new apartment the other week, just a few blocks up from where we were living. All great changes but it has definitely been a bit hectic moving both work and home! Thankfully we are taking a quick break at the end of June and traveling to St. Bart's to lay on the beach for a week :)

Samantha Papadakis
Next Friday will be my last day at Morgan Stanley. I will be leaving my role in the Private Wealth Management division to go work as a Business Development Associate at Blue State Digital, a full-service online design, strategic communications and development firm. The firm got their big break two years ago with Obama's online campaign and have been consulting for political candidates, non-profits and corporations ever since. I will start on June 21, before which I plan on traveling to either Egypt or Greece! Any suggestions for a 2-3 week vacation are welcomed!

Class of 2007 – Class Agent: Kyle Cutter
Class of 2006 – Class Agent: Joanna Lee / Erin Mulkey
Class of 2005 – Class Agent: Molly Ward
Alli Bates Wannop
On May 15th I married my college boyfriend at Harvard. We were fortunate enough to have several HWSD members and Steph herself in attendance.  Everything was perfect. We were even written up in the New York Times! I start work as a summer associate at Goodwin Procter following our five year reunion and Brian’s HBS graduation.

Class of 2004 – Class Agent: Erica DeBenedetto
Class of 2003 – Class Agent: Anna Fraser
Class of 2002 – Class Agent: Janna McDougall
Janna McDougall
I'm loving my job at Nike Foundation - we make investments in programs adolescent girls, because we know that adolescent girls are some of the most powerful drivers of poverty reduction globally.  I think we'd all agree how important it is for girls to have the chance in life to play sports, succeed academically, and contribute professionally.  Check it out, and learn more about how you can help: www.girleffect.org <http://www.girleffect.org/> .
Class of 2001 – Class Agent: Angie Peluse
Class of 2000 – Class Agent: Susan Hardin
Nancy Jo
It was so enjoyable to catch up with those in the class of 2000 who were able to attend our 10-year reunion this past weekend.  While we somehow managed to hold back a public hipsaw, please know how thankful we are to Steph and the alumni committee for hosting a reunion for all former swimmers and supporters in town and for reminding us of how fortunate we are to be part of such a deep and solid tradition. I would also like to thank Steph personally for allowing me to drop in for a swim with the Masters team, enabling my overdue homage to Blodgett (she writes in all sincerity, while smiling and reminiscing in particular her senior year of swimming).
Class of 1999 – Class Agent: Courtney Swain
Class of 1998 – Class Agent: Jen (Steffen) Zweig
Class of 1997 – Class Agent: Hilary Cruz-Abrams
Class of 1996 – Class Agent: Montana Miller
Class of 1995 – Class Agent: Kristan Gately
Class of 1994 – Class Agent: Sabrina Corlette
Class of 1993 – Class Agent: Eva Wilson
Class of 1992 – Class Agent: Ruthie Friedman
Stephanie Wriede Morawski
What fun it was to see so many members of 2005, 2000, 1990 and 1985 (where were you 1995???) as our Reunion Event.  We reminisced about scooter injuries, pool games (like musical chairs with a water polo ball), training trips and more.  Hopefully, we’ll see many more of you at the Alumni meet and BBQ before the H/Y football game this fall.
Class of 1991 – Class Agent: Nicole Florence
Class of 1990 – Class Agent: Mia Costello
Class of 1989 – Class Agent: Linda Cleveland
Class of 1988 – Class Agent: Kelley Taber
Class of 1987 – Class Agent: Marie Ciepiela
Class of 1986 – Class Agent: Shannon Byrd
Class of 1985 – Class Agent: Anita Rival-Rosenberg
Class of 1983-84 – Class Agent: Jeanne Downs
Class of 1982 – Class Agent: Liz Adams Lasser
Class of 1981 – Class Agent: Deborah Jacobs
Class of 1977-80 – Class Agent: Claire Cloud
Class of 1974-76 – Class Agent: Connie Cervilla