[HSD] Harvard Swimming and Diving October News

Harvard Swimming and Diving announcements hwsd-list at lists.fas.harvard.edu
Mon Oct 17 12:00:32 EDT 2011

Harvard Swimming and Diving officially begins their Ivy League competition on Friday, November 11.  Both the men’s and women’s teams will be in action that weekend.  Team overviews from the coaches are below.

 FROM STEPH MORAWSKI, WOMEN’S SWIM COACH
Co-Captains Kristi Korsberg ’11 (Andover, MA) and Victoria Pratt ’11 (Burlingame, CA) along with seven other seniors lead the way in what promises to be an exciting 2011-2012 season.  Our coaching staff has already been impressed by the focus and determination of the team both in the water and during dryland.

The hard work begins to pay off this Sunday, October 23.  Since it is an Olympic Trials year, we are hosting a long course meters scrimmage against other New England teams.   We currently have seven individuals with US Olympic Trials qualifying times and about another four who are very close as well as two with Canadian Trials and one attempting to pick up her British Trials times.  In addition, Ali Lightbourne is currently in Mexico representing the Bahamas at the Pan Am Games.  There is truly an international side to our team!

We open our Ivy League competition at home on November 12 against Cornell and Dartmouth.  The first week in December, the swimmers will travel to Georgia for some challenging out of league competition.  The Georgia Invitational has been instrumental in preparing our athletes for the end of the season pressures and our divers will travel to Texas the same weekend for a similar experience.  In January, we are very excited to compete against Northwestern and Iowa.  We match up well against these scholarship programs and having the opportunity to race strong competition before HYP is invaluable.

The Ivy Championships are home this year and we encourage you to attend!  For those in the Maryland area, the ECAC Championships are the same weekend at Navy.  Both meets should be very exciting.

Please click here for our full meet schedule:
http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/wswimdive/2011-12/schedule

FROM TIM MURPHY, MEN’S SWIM COACH
Men’s Swimming is looking forward to a challenging and demanding season in 2011-12.  We have a strong group of upperclassmen that are complimented well by a solid group of freshmen who, among other notable achievements, have a combined twelve Olympic Trial cuts in swimming and two in diving.  Captains Rob Newell ‘12 and Matt McLean ‘12 are leading the charge this year with fellow seniors Ross Ford, David Lynch and Niall Janney.

Our meet schedule should help us develop our team to its potential.  We begin by swimming perennial top ten NCAA Championship team Texas A&M at Blodgett Pool.  We then move onto the Ivy dual meet season.   Within the Ivy season, we will also swim at the University of North Carolina Invitational in November and swim an away dual meet against Ohio State in January.  Both schools finished ahead of us at the 2011 NCAA Championships and we look forward to challenge each meet presents.

To wrap up the season, we swim HYP at home on February 3-4 and have the Ivy Championships at Princeton in late February.  We hope to see you there or at any other meets you are able to attend.  We appreciate your continued support and look forward to staying in touch.

Please click here for our full meet schedule:
http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mswimdive/2011-12/schedule

FROM KEITH MILLER, DIVING COACH
The divers this year will be a strong force in the League. We have 8 women and 4 men, with only 2 seniors and 4 freshmen.

On the women's side, we have 4 returning Ivy finalists (top 8). Senior Leslie Rea leads the squad as a 5-time finalist. Junior Brittany Powell placed 2nd on 3 meter last year. Teagan Lehrmann and Schuyler Moore are among these 4, but Sophomore Alex Stanton also scored (12th and 15th last year), and they're joined by Jessica Stanchfield (2011 ECAC Champion) and two strong freshmen, Cassie Corneau (who trained with us at Harvard as an age grouper) and Amanda Largent (The Woodlands, TX).

We have 4 strong men as well. Junior Michael Stanton has already won 3 diving events (out of 4) at the Ivy Championships he's attended, and Sophomore Joe Zarrella is a returning Ivy finalist. They are joined by two very strong freshmen. Michael Mosca (Tenafly, NJ) has already qualified for the US Olympic Trials on 3 meter (both individual and synchro), and George Doran (Wheaton, IL) is a standout newcomer who started competing club diving just this year, but has already qualified for Junior Nationals on both 1 meter and 3 meter!

It's going to be an exciting year! And one final note of great interest: Jenny (Greene) Scott has been selected to be inducted into the Harvard Varsity Club Hall of Fame in May, 2012. That's very exciting for me because it brings me back to the days of John Walker, Jeff Mulé and all the divers from the 1980s. And I had the pleasure of coaching Jenny as a member of our club team as well! We look forward to the induction next spring!