[HSD] Harvard Swimming and Diving Update

Harvard Swimming and Diving announcements hwsd-list at lists.fas.harvard.edu
Fri Mar 9 15:45:50 EST 2012

HARVARD SWIMMING AND DIVING
MARCH 9, 2012

*Men's Ivy League Championships
*Diving update
*Women's Swimming and Diving Championship Store
*Women's Swimming and Diving NCAA Broadcast schedule
*Note from Nichols Family Director of Athletics, Bob Scalise

Men's Swimming and Diving update from Coach Tim Murphy:
HMSD had some outstanding performances at the 2012 Ivy Championships this past weekend.  While the outcome was unsatisfactory, with our team coming in second to Princeton by 77 points,  we are in a great position moving forward.  Fifteen of our twenty athletes entered in the meet were freshmen and sophomores and they scored 92% of our total points   These swimmers set six new team records and included five swimmers who qualified for the 2012 NCAA Championships.   Team records were broken in the 50 free and 100 free, 100 and 200 breast and 200 and 400 freestyle relays.  Freshmen Chuck Katis qualified for NCAA’s in the 100 breaststroke and sophomore Chris Satterthwaite qualified in the 200 freestyle.  Our 400 freestyle relay, which went 2:53.22, qualified 10th and included Satterthwaite, freshmen Zac Walters and Griffin Schumacher and sophomore Oliver Lee.

Other highlights from the meet include:

-Three swimmers breaking our 50 freestyle record. Sophomores Chris Satterthwaite went 19.84, Freshmen Griffin Schumacher swam 19.87 and sophomore Oliver Lee went 19.99.
-Chuck Katis placing second in three events.  100 breast 53.1, 200 breast 1:56.49 (both team records) and 200 Im 1:46
-Chris Satterthwaite winning three events-50/100/200 free (19.84, 43.18, (both team records) 1:35.05) and being named Swimmer of the Meet
-Fiver milers going under 15:45, six swimmers going 9:20 or under in the 1000 free
-Three swimmers going 1:37 or under in the 200 free
-Four breaststrokers going :56 or under in the 100 breast, three going 2:03 or under in the 200 breast

Our divers performed well at Ivy Championships.  Mike Mosca, a freshman, won the 1 meter board with a score of 359.55  Sophomore Joe Zarrella placed 4th and Junior Michael Stanton placed 6th.  On the 3 meter board, Mosca placed 2nd, Stanton 3rd and Zarrella came in 11th.

Bobby Hackett ‘81 spoke with the team several times during the meet about how to succeed.  We appreciate his and the other alum who came out to support the team.  Other alum in attendance included Michael Dunn ‘11, Simone Melillo ‘10, Douwe Yntema ‘11, Alex Meyer ‘10, Jamie Mannion ‘11, Justin Davidson ‘11.  Thanks to the many alumni who offered their encouragement and congratulations over the phone and email.

We’ve got a great base to build on.  Next year’s freshmen should help us and we are looking forward to teaching our guys how to win.

For full results please visit:
http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mswimdive/2011-12/releases/201203022414yu

NCAA Championships Coverage.  ESPN3 will stream live the championship finals sessions Friday and Saturday. Coverage of the finals sessions Friday and Saturday will also be broadcast on ESPNU at 12:30 p.m. Eastern time, Sunday, April 1. In addition, all three preliminary sessions as well as the finals session on Thursday will be streamed live on www.goseattleu.com<http://www.goseattleu.com/> <http://www.goseattleu.com> .
http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mswimdive/2011-12/releases/20120308

Diving update from Coach Keith Miller:
We are currently in Buffalo for the NCAA Zone competition with divers Mike Mosca, Joe Zarrella, Michael Stanton, Alex Stanton, Schuyler Moore and Leslie Rea.  To follow, please

http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mswimdive/2011-12/releases/201203076sletd

To follow the diving results, please visit:
https://secure.meetcontrol.com/divemeets/system/meets.php

Zone A will be listed on the instant results section once the events begin.

Women's Swimming and Diving Championship Store is LIVE through March 14, 2012.
To order Women's Swimming and Diving Championship merchandise, please visit:
http://www.skor4packages.com/
Enter package code  HCSD

Orders MUST be placed by March 14, 2012.

Women's Swimming and DIving NCAA Championship Broadcast schedule

 Day

Date

Time (ET)

Round

Site

Network

Air

Friday

03/16/12

8:00 PM

Day 2

James E. Martin Aquatics Center – Auburn, AL

ESPN3

Live

Saturday

03/15/12

8:00 PM

Day 3

James E. Martin Aquatics Center – Auburn, AL

ESPN3

Live

Wednesday

03/21/12

7:00 PM

Championship

James E. Martin Aquatics Center – Auburn, AL

ESPNU

Tape Delay

PLEASE NOTE: START TIMES, NETWORKS, WEB STREAMING ARE

A Note from The Nichols Family Director of Athletics, Bob Scalise:
This winter we earned 3 Ivy titles - men’s basketball, women’s squash, women’s swimming & diving, and 4 National Titles – men’s squash individual (Ali Farag), women’s squash team and individual (Amanda Sobhy) and women’s individual alpine skiing (Rebecca Nadler).

Men’s basketball, men's and women's fencing, men’s and women’s swimming & diving and wrestling will compete at the NCAA championship events next week; women’s basketball will participate in the WNIT, and men’s hockey is hosting the quarterfinals of the ECAC playoffs. Follow along on GoCrimson.com<http://GoCrimson.com/> for game times, ticket information, television schedules, previews and recaps. These successes would not be possible without the tremendous support of our alumni and friends – thank you so much for all you do to help our programs pursue excellence!

Please visit our merchandise store to pick up our Ivy League Championship gear and otherHarvard merchandise<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109491068754&s=7760&e=001GlaibcyUiGM5PE0sXOdZhSRI6nrM45p6Sb9u80-iCMUnPFQrxlZQupR53QRVp-VSCiAmE2GBmYqX42sd5gTZWhATddr4XxcMVttgn_tG3_SCUM1z1FjrfLp00UBPvzpZ0vtBXOdT89Y=>.

We hope you will continue to follow our teams<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109491068754&s=7760&e=001GlaibcyUiGN6kv3fKVqsijA6eVESTt228i6tsoFiD5uI2_FfX0rhsTKznRU8LhwADCRCxbVjcR6rYsjEpXH94koqX8TUwW_1N2nop3z5_8EXMU59Phcaq2CDM4k82DPi1ElZF8L-HRo=> on GoCrimson.com<http://GoCrimson.com/>, attend<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109491068754&s=7760&e=001GlaibcyUiGMmUMFq9aEbJ5z76PiqXb3-7Nzz5a8gR5oFJ4Sv0Wv7-TxPW-J9xRRUY-u0vy59EfH8CHV6zupfUxZzTdn8-Y8A96ciQZc2_uT86JsTstKCEriSVDzvUsBHXe7tNDDrHZ8=> our events and support<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1109491068754&s=7760&e=001GlaibcyUiGMdI0F7hK-INOipI5u_NOglmHp_dY6tmn7-4FajcOWjao_qVM3iUj9VyJ1SE4ARYySlXswWfg56pO0YjFlNh9dfv8Knmn7kGpSpaGqjWJl9LuQ83lcDj09FCNfikLPWQFKRAc7lvvT4LaZGGv36cxsTB8FoazQGUPNEUlvhSINewMtwkpEQfYHdz7COAeFOZ8r3IGlNmiV1nzEpCwVE75h6l-RPkY4dNWc=>your Friends group.

After a great winter sports season, I cannot wait to see what the spring has in store. See below for the entire spring schedule.

Best Wishes,

Bob Scalise
The Nichols Family Director of Athletics