[HSD] Harvard Swimming and Diving: A Note from the Friends Chairs

Harvard Swimming and Diving announcements hwsd-list at lists.fas.harvard.edu
Thu May 3 15:50:46 EDT 2012

Dear Friends,

We’d like to give you a quick update on this year’s fundraising effort, especially since we have received many questions regarding the recent generous endowment of the men’s coaching position by Charlie('54) & Peter Egan ('86).  The general theme of most questions has been along the lines of “does the Friends program still need my donation?”  The answer is a wholehearted yes and here is why.

The Egan gift will endow the head coach position and ensure that men's swimming will always remain a part of Harvard athletics.   With major universities such as UCLA and the University of Illinois dropping their men's swimming programs over the last two decades, this endowment will make certain that men's swimming and diving will forever be a part of the university.  However,  it will not impact the team’s reliance on Friends donations to cover the following major operating expenses:   out of conference travel (airfare, lodging, food), the annual training trip, recruiting expenses and equipment.  For instance, the latest racing suits cost $400 and are a must-have for our team members.

So where does that leave us?
•      We need your help! The team needs your donations today just as much as it has in the past.
•       We still need to bridge an approximate $65,000 gap to reach our goal of $180,000 total, at which point the team would be in a good position to plan for the upcoming season.
•       We have only two months left in the fiscal year!

If you’ve already donated, thank you!  If you haven’t, please consider making a donation.   It’s easy, fast and tax deductible and you receive full class credit for your donation (please see how to donate below).

If you are celebrating a reunion this year, please consider including the Friends group as part of your reunion year pledge to the Harvard College Fund.  Multi-year pledges greatly reduce the coaching staff’s stress levels because they reduce budgeting uncertainties at the beginning of the season.  Please contact one of us directly to discuss your pledge.

There are two ways to make a contribution:
1. Send a check payable to “Friends of Harvard Swimming and Diving” to the following address: Friends of Harvard Swimming and Diving, Murr Center, 65 North Harvard Street, Boston MA 02163.
2. Donate online by clicking on the following link:
https://secure.www.alumniconnections.com/olc/pub/HAA/onlinegiving/showGivingForm.jsp?form_id=60897    Please remember to click on FRIENDS OF HARVARD SWIMMING AND DIVING.

As a reminder, we will be hosting a get-together with the coaching staff on Friday, May 25th from 4:30- 8:00 at Tommy Doyle's in Harvard Square for all local alumnae/i and those returning for their reunions.  All family members and guests are welcome.   Please stop by to say "hello" before you join your class for their evening event.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly with any questions or suggestions.  Thank you for your ongoing support.

Go Crimson,

Steph Ruperto, Mike Kiedel, Kevin Koslosky
fruperto at aol.com<mailto:fruperto at aol.com>, m_kiedel at yahoo.com<mailto:m_kiedel at yahoo.com>, Kevin.Koslosky at kkr.com<mailto:Kevin.Koslosky at kkr.com>