[HMSD] 25K Open Water World Championships

Tim D. Murphy tdmurphy at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Jul 25 17:05:18 EDT 2009

_/*From the USA Swimming website*/_
In the men's race, 16-year-old Tennessean Sean Ryan earned an 11th place
finish, with a time of 5:36:22.2.

"I think I was out really well," said Ryan. "I underestimated how much
energy I was using and then on the last 2 laps, the leaders pulled away
and I just couldn't hang with them. I sort of ran out of energy. I think
it's a great learning opportunity and I'm ready to try again soon."

_*U.S. teammate Alex Meyer was poised to finish top-10, but was
disqualified rounding the final buoy*_.

The swimmers navigated through a choppy waters for more than
five-and-a-half hours. A full beach of spectators looked on in Ostia.
The crowd erupted into cheers when Italian swimmer Valerio Cleri won the
men's race in 5:26:31.6. Australia's Trent Grimsey took second in
5:26:50.7 and Russian swimmer Vladimir Dyatchin was third in 5:29:29.3.

/HMSD
  I spoke with Alex shortly after the race this morning. He was disappointed with his disqualification while in position for a top 5 finish. Overall he felt very good about his race. This was a tremendous performance for Alex competing in his first 25K and international meet.
*Congratulations Alex!
*/
-
Timothy D. Murphy