[gov3009-l] paper available: Marcello Pagano, Wed's Adv. Stats Workshop

adiamond@fas.harvard.edu adiamond@fas.harvard.edu
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:17:53 -0500

Professor Pagano's paper is now available online:

http://www.courses.fas.harvard.edu/~gov3009/Calendar/pagano.pdf

Abstract:

The topic of this paper is the distribution of distances between two points
distributed independently in space. We illustrate the use of this interpoint
distance distribution to describe the characteristics of a set of points within
some fixed region.  The properties of its sample version, and thus inference
about this function, are discussed both in the discrete and in the continuous
setting. We illustrate its use in the detection of spatial clustering by
application to a well-known leukemia data set, and report on the results of a
simulation experiment designed to study the power characteristics of the
methods within that study region and in an artifcial homogenous setting.