[gov3009-l] Applied Statistics Workshop: Felix Elwert on Wed., April 25

Konstantin Kashin kkashin at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 23 12:50:43 EDT 2012

Dear all,

Please join us for the final session of the Applied Statistics Workshop
(Gov 3009) this semester on Wednesday, April 25 from 12.00 - 1.30 pm in
CGIS Knafel Room 354. Felix Elwert, Assistant Professor in the Department
of Sociology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, will give a
presentation entitled "Endogenous Selection". As always, a light lunch will
be provided.

Abstract:

> Selection bias is a central problem for causal inference in the social
> sciences.  Quite how central a problem it is, however, is often obscured by
> ambiguous terminology, needlessly technical presentations, and narrow rules
> of thumb. This paper uses directed acyclic graphs (DAGs)  to advance a
> precise yet intuitive global definition of endogenous selection bias and
> argue its theoretical and practical centrality for causal inference. The
> paper clarifies the fundamental structural difference between confounding
> and endogenous selection, shows that nearly all non-parametric
> identification problems relate to either confounding or endogenous
> selection, and argues that the problem of endogenous selection is
> indifferent to timing. Perhaps most importantly, we illustrate the
> importance of endogenous selection bias with numerous and varied examples
> from empirical social research.

This is joint work with Chris Winship.

http://www.iq.harvard.edu/events/node/1208.

Ph.D. Student in Government