[gov3009-l] Applied Statistics Workshop: David Reshef on Wed., March 21

Konstantin Kashin kkashin at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 19 11:03:30 EDT 2012

Dear all,

Please join us for the Applied Statistics Workshop (Gov 3009) this
Wednesday, March 21 from 12.00 - 1.30 pm in CGIS Knafel Room 354. David
Reshef <http://web.mit.edu/dnreshef/www/>, an MD/PhD student at the
Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology (HST), will give a
presentation entitled "Detecting Novel Bivariate Associations in Large Data
Sets". As always, a light lunch will be provided.

For those interested, here is the project
website<http://www.exploredata.net/>and the accompanying
*Science* article<http://www.sciencemag.org/content/334/6062/1518.abstract?ijkey=cRCIlh2G7AjiA&keytype=ref&siteid=sci>
.

Abstract:

> Identifying interesting relationships between pairs of variables in large
> data sets is increasingly important. One way of doing so is to search such
> data sets for pairs of variables that are closely associated. This can be
> done by calculating some measure of dependence for each pair, ranking the
> pairs by their scores, and examining the top-scoring pairs. We outline two
> heuristic properties--generality and equitability--that the statistic we
> use to measure dependence should have in order for such a strategy to be
> effective.
> We present a measure of dependence for two-variable relationships, the
> maximal information coefficient (MIC), that has these properties. MIC
> captures a wide range of associations both functional and not (generality),
> and assigns similar scores to relationships with similar noise levels,
> regardless of relationship type (equitability). Finally, we show that MIC
> belongs to a larger class of maximal information-based nonparametric
> exploration (MINE) statistics for identifying and classifying relationships.

http://www.iq.harvard.edu/events/node/1208.

Ph.D. Student in Government

E-mail: kkashin at fas.harvard.edu