[gov3009-l] Applied Statistics Workshop: Rich Nielsen on Wed., Sept. 19

Konstantin Kashin kkashin at fas.harvard.edu
Sun Sep 16 22:51:51 EDT 2012

Dear all,
Please join us for the Applied Statistics Workshop (Gov 3009) this
Wednesday, September 19 from 12.00 - 1.30 pm in CGIS Knafel Room 354. Rich
Nielsen <http://people.fas.harvard.edu/~rnielsen/>, a Ph.D. candidate from
the Department of Government at Harvard University, will give a practice
job talk entitled "Jihadi Radicalization of Muslim Clerics". As always, a
light lunch will be provided.

Abstract:
**

> This paper explains why some Muslim clerics adopt the ideology of militant
> Jihad while others do not. I argue that clerics strategically adopt or
> reject Jihadi ideology because of career incentives generated by the
> structure of cleric educational networks. Well-connected clerics enjoy
> substantial success at pursuing comfortable careers within state-run
> religious institutions and they reject Jihadi ideology in exchange for
> continued material support from the state. Clerics with poor educational
> networks cannot rely on connections to advance through the state-run
> institutions, so many pursue careers outside of the system by appealing
> directly to lay audiences for support. These clerics are more likely to
> adopt Jihadi ideology because it helps them demonstrate to potential
> supporters that they have not been theologically coopted by political
> elites. I provide evidence of these dynamics by collecting and analyzing
> 29,430 fatwas, articles, and books written by 91 contemporary clerics.
> Using statistical natural language processing, I measure the extent to
> which each cleric adopts Jihadi ideology in their writing. I combine this
> with biographical and network information about each cleric to trace the
> process by which poorly-connected clerics become more likely to adopt
> Jihadi ideology.

http://www.iq.harvard.edu/events/node/1208.

Ph.D. Candidate in Government

E-mail: kkashin at fas.harvard.edu