[gov3009-l] Applied Statistics Workshop: Gary Chamberlain on Wed., March 13

Konstantin Kashin kkashin at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 11 04:20:52 EDT 2013

Dear all,

We hope you can join us this Wednesday, March 13, 2013 for the Applied
Statistics Workshop in CGIS Knafel 354. Gary
Chamberlain<http://scholar.harvard.edu/chamberlain>,
Louis Berkman Professor of Economics from the Department of Economics at
Harvard University, will give a presentation entitled "Predictive Effects
of Teachers and Schools on Test Scores, College Attendance, and Earnings".
A light lunch will be served at 12 pm and the talk will begin at 12.15.

Abstract:

> I study predictive effects of teachers and schools on test scores in fourth
> through eighth grade and outcomes later in life such as college attendance
> and earnings. The predictive effects have the following form: predict the
> fraction of a classroom attending college at age 20 given the test score
> for a different classroom in the same school with the same teacher, and
> given the test score for a classroom in the same school with a different
> teacher. I would like to have predictive effects that condition on averages
> over many classrooms, with and without the same teacher. I set up a factor
> model which, under certain assumptions, makes this feasible. Administrative
> school district data n combination with tax data were used to calculate
> estimates and do inference.

http://events.iq.harvard.edu/events/node/1208.

Ph.D. Candidate in Government

E-mail: kkashin at fas.harvard.edu