[gov3009-l] Applied Stats Tomorrow: Tyson Belanger (Harvard Gov)

Wise, Tess wise at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Feb 4 12:22:20 EST 2014

Hello all!

Tomorrow at Applied Stats,<http://projects.iq.harvard.edu/applied_stats> we will be hearing from Tyson Belanger (Harvard Government) who will be presenting his work entitled "Fear, Hope, and War: Positive Inducements Help Win Wars.''

As per usual, we will meet in CGIS K354 at 12 noon and lunch will be served.

Abstract:

How do states win wars against other states? We have three explanations. By selection effects, states choose more winnable wars. By warfighting, states use negative inducements so enemies fear fighting. And by peacemaking, states use positive inducements so enemies hope for settling. This article investigates peacemaking. It theorizes that states optimally produce war influence only if they efficiently combine both warfighting negative and peacemaking positive inducements. It measures positive inducements by law of war compliance, where compliance is their presence and noncompliance means their absence, so it hypothesizes that compliance improves outcomes. It tests this by estimating average compliance effects on interstate outcomes from 1899 to 1991, in four models, with multiple specifications, and over nine issue areas. It finds that compliance likely on average causes better immediate military and final political outcomes. To win, states should be prudent by selection, fierce in warfighting, and principled enough for peacemaking.

I've attached a copy of the paper and the supplemental tables.

Tess
Tess Wise
PhD Candidate
Harvard Department of Government