[gov3009-l] Applied Statistics Workshop 9/24

Dana Higgins danahiggins at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Sep 22 07:06:43 EDT 2014

Hi everyone!

Our speaker this Wednesday (9/24) at Applied Stats will be our own* Brandon
Stewart, *who will be practicing his job talk.  Brandon will be giving a
talk entitled *Latent Factor Regressions for the Social Sciences**. *The
abstract for the talk is included below. As per usual, we will meet in CGIS
K354 at 12 noon and lunch will be served.

I look forward to seeing you all there! Thank you!

-- Dana Higgins

*Abstract: *I present a general framework for regression in the presence of
complex dependence structures between units such as in time-series
cross-sectional data, relational/network data, and spatial data. These
types of data are challenging for standard multilevel models because they
involve multiples types of structure (e.g. temporal effects and
cross-sectional effects) which are interactive. I show that interactive
latent factor models provide a powerful modeling alternative that can
address a wide range of data types. Although, related models have
previously been proposed in several different fields, inference is
typically cumbersome and slow. I introduce a class of fast variational
inference algorithms that allow for models to be fit quickly and accurately.