[gov3009-l] Gov 3009: Applied Stats Workshop: 1/28

Anton Strezhnev astrezhnev at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Jan 26 10:02:28 EST 2015

Hi everyone!

This week at the Applied Statistics Workshop we will be welcoming *Jelani
Nelson*, a Professor of Computer Science at the Harvard School of
Engineering and Applied Sciences. He will be presenting work entitled
*Dimensionality
Reduction Via Sparse Matrices*.  Please find the abstract below and on the
website here
<http://projects.iq.harvard.edu/applied.stats.workshop-gov3009/presentations/presenter-jelani-nelson-dimensionality-reduction-sparse>

As usual, we will meet in CGIS Knafel Room 354 and lunch will be provided.
Hope to see you all there!

-- Anton Strezhnev

Title: Dimensionality Reduction Via Sparse Matrices

Abstract: This talk will discuss sparse Johnson-Lindenstrauss transforms,
i.e. sparse linear maps into much lower dimension which preserve the
Euclidean geometry of a set of vectors. Both upper and lower bounds will be
presented, as well as applications to certain domains such as numerical
linear algebra and compressed sensing.

Based on various joint works with Jean Bourgain, Daniel M. Kane, and Huy Le
Nguyen.